Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ray’s Rotary Reunion in Cape Town

The current president of Rotary International is Ray Klinginsmith, an alumnus of The Rotary Foundation’s Ambassadorial Scholarship program, which took him to South Africa in 1961 where he studied at the University of Cape Town (just like me :)). Mr. Klinginsmith is a retired attorney, former professor of business administration, and past dean of administration for Truman State University. After meeting Ray and learning about all of his many accomplishments, I realized that I have some big shoes to fill.

This past week I had the great fortune to attend Ray’s Rotary Reunion here in Cape Town. Rotary has a new focus “Reach Out To Africa” (ROTA) and given Ray’s history with Cape Town, the Reunion of past and present scholars, Group Study Exchange team members, and African Rotarians met for four days to talk about successes, projects, and ways to improve Rotary in Africa. During those four days I was able to meet and talk at length with Mr. Klinginsmith (pictured) and his team at Rotary International. I told them about my projects that I’m involved in here in Cape Town, namely the library project, and about my future plans in the US. They seemed incredibly supportive of my efforts here in Cape Town as well as my future intentions to run for Congress. I honestly felt like I walked away from the conference with wonderful, new friends.

During the four day conference, I was privileged to meet FW de Klerk (former President of South Africa), Trevor Manuel (former Minister of Finance), Peter Kyle (consultant for World Bank and former head of the Legal Division), Francis Moloi (South African Diplomat and Alumnus of the Ambassadorial program), and Carl-Wilhelm Stenhammar ( past RI President). After listening to these influential leaders of their communities, I felt completely inspired by Rotary’s efforts in the African continent. One of the most amazing accomplishments by Rotary is the effort to eradicate Polio. To learn more about it, please visit: http://www.rotary.org/en/ServiceAndFellowship/Polio/Pages/ridefault.aspx?housead

Thanks again to Rotary for such an amazing opportunity!

3 comments:

  1. What a great opportunity to meet with all those fine folks, so happy that you have had this chance to participate in the Reunion. I didn't know that you planned to run for Congress someday, we certainly need all the good people we can get in our legislatures. I have always said that if we let Rotary be in charge of the world, it would be such a much better place to live.

    I do hope that when you return home that you will be in a position to join one of our local Rotary Clubs, we need young inspriring Rotarians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy I'm a Clemson faculty member in forestry and I went on a Rotary exchange last May. Found a short write-up about you in the Clemson World magazine. Glad you are having a good experience. Would like to keep in touch and maybe meet up with you when you return. The trip was a wonderful experience for me. Look forward to reading about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you all the best.. I hope South Africa is treating you well. I miss you, and so does America.

    ReplyDelete