Sunday, December 12, 2010

Church in Cape Town

Churches in Cape Town are unlike any I’ve ever attended in the US. While I’ve been here in Cape Town I have visited two Anglican churches, one downtown and one in Sea Point. This morning I went to St. James Anglican Church in Sea Point. The service this morning went a little something like this:

10:45- I arrived at the church for the 11am service
10:46- I noticed I was the only one there
10:48- Some other visitors from the UK came into church
10:50- All of us wondered where the bulletins were… we were told that they don’t print any. The church uses a big screen that pops down during the service.
10:55- I was welcomed by a man in the church who asked me to write down my name because he wanted to properly introduce me during the service.
11:03- Other people arrived for church (African Time is a reality... nothing starts "on time")
11:05- That same man who wanted my name walked up to the front, fiddled with a microphone, and asked who was leading church today. The preacher, who was sitting with the congregation in the pews, told him that he thought he (meaning the man with the microphone) was going to lead. 11:10- The man with the mic said, “Sure, I’d be happy to do it. Who’s going to read today?” A woman in the first pew said she would.
11:12- That man with the mic introduced me and told everyone I was from the States... they all clapped.
11:15- The man with the mic asked for testimonies… Several people stood up, took the mic and spoke about a recent event in their lives that made them grateful, happy, etc. Some spoke in English, some in Afrikaans.
11:30- Testimonies ceased and the piano player began playing church music. Someone controlled the screen so we could all see the words.
11:40- A woman felt moved and wanted to tell us all about her recent encounter with a rude waiter at a restaurant in Cape Town. During her meal there with her bible study group, this waiter was apparently rude and obnoxious. The woman felt as though she needed to talk with him and tell him that the Lord loved him… end of story was the man became incredibly nice.
11:45- The preacher got up from the 3rd pew in the congregation and preached.
11:53- People that needed to be prayed for went up front while the preacher prayed for them.
11:55- Peace time. Everyone got out of their pew, walked in the aisle of the church and held hands. Then people proceeded to hug and kiss everyone saying “Peace Be with You”. I met everyone.
12:05- Communion (pretty standard)
12:13- Prayers were said—The Lord’s Prayer and some other general prayers
12:15- We sang the last hymn Joy to the World (because someone requested it right then)

As you can probably tell, this service was unstructured and probably violated a few codes of the Anglican Church; however, I have to say that I never felt more welcomed by a group of people whom I had never met. I find it fascinating and refreshing that the churches here are mixed race… black, white, colored… everyone. No one worries about the color skin when you’re under God’s roof… just like it should be. Church here is an experience that you must have here in Cape Town!

1 comment:

  1. what an interesting experience, the "Africa time" always cracks me up, whether it's S.Africa or Uganda or Senegal....seems the same.

    The church service itself sounds like something I would enjoy, a sense of order combined with spontaneous activities and obvious caring.

    I hope your experience in Australia was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete